Guide to the towns and villages of La Oliva,Fuerteventura
The Canarian municipality of La Oliva is located in the northern part of Fuerteventura with the Atlantic Ocean to the west, north and east, and Puerto del Rosario to the south. The small island of Los Lobos to the northeast is also part of the municipality. Amongst the countless attractions in the municipality, a visit to its natural spaces is a must. The mountain Montaña de Tindaya is an extraordinary space that is of significant archaeological and geological value. The natural park Parque Natural de Corralejo is characterized chiefly by its spectacular area of dunes. The park Parque de Lobos houses some 130 species of animals and plants, in the middle of landscape barely altered by man. The natural monument Monumento Natural del Malpaís de la Arena is the result of volcanic eruptions from about ten thousand years ago that gave rise to landscape of great beauty. Lastly, the protected landscape Paisaje Protegido de Vallebrón retains the structures built by man for the agricultural exploitation of the land in the middle of a fertile valley.
The territorial boundaries of the municipality have not experienced any significant changes throughout its history, as they were based on the ecclesiastic structuring that was carried out in the 18th century. In 1837, the island fell under the administration of the Spanish Crown, thanks to the abolition of the señoríos or lordships. During this decade, the restructuring of Spain into municipal demarcations enabled the creation of the Town Council of La Oliva and its municipal district.